What is Telepsychiatry?
Telemedicine is the process of providing health care from a distance through technology, often using videoconferencing. Telepsychiatry, a subset of telemedicine, can involve providing a range of services including psychiatric evaluations, therapy (individual therapy, group therapy, family therapy), patient education and medication management.
Telepsychiatry can involve direct interaction between a psychiatrist and the patient. It also encompasses psychiatrists supporting primary care providers with mental health care consultation and expertise. Mental health care can be delivered in a live, interactive communication. It can also involve recording medical information (images, videos, etc.) and sending this to a distant site for later review.
Video-based telepsychiatry helps meet patients’ needs for convenient, affordable and readily-accessible mental health services. It can benefit patients in a number of ways, such as:
- Improve access to mental health specialty care that might not otherwise be available (e.g., in rural areas)
- Bring care to the patient’s location
- Help integrate behavioral health care and primary care, leading to better outcomes
- Reduce the need for trips to the emergency room
- Reduce delays in care
- Improve continuity of care and follow-up
- Reduce the need for time off work, childcare services, etc. to access appointments far away
- Reduce potential transportation barriers, such as lack of transportation or the need for long drives
- Reduce the barrier of stigma
- When you are a patient in our clinic, we will send the patient a notification email with the instructions on how to set up the Telepsychiatry video link on their phone (iPhone or Android),tablet or computer and how to use it in your web browser.
The patient has to agree with the terms before they start using our Telepsychiatry link. This is some of what the patient has to agree with:
- The text below serves as a short version of our Terms of Service . Using our TelePsychiatry service is not intended to replace services already provided. TelePsychiatry will provide you an alternative treatment option for services if you choose this form of treatment service with your provider. You are free to choose this or continue with services already in place after being seen and evaluated at our clinic.
- Our TelePsychiatry link is not actively monitored and is not suitable for crisis or emergency situations. If you are in a crisis or emergency, please contact your local crisis or emergency service(s).
- This is not a diagnostic tool.
- JCCR uses a secure video link in association with Mentegram who provides a HIPPA compliant portal to facilitate our TelePsychiatry link. HIPAA https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/ is a covered entity in the United States of America and we follow all regulations designed to keep your health records safe and private.
Joliet Centerfor Clinical Research
210 N Hammes Ave
Joliet, Il 60435
Phone: 815-729-7790 extension 104
Appointments: 815-729-7790 ext 1
Billing: 815-729-7790 extension 3
Research: 815-729-7790 ext 6
If you currently are in crisis or experiencing thoughts of suicide; thoughts of harm to self or others; unusual or erratic behavior or moods, please call 911 or go to your nearest hospital or Emergency Room immediately. Please be aware that there will be no one to take your call if it is after hours or a non-business day including Sat., Sun and holidays. Please allow one business day for a response to any message left for the office.